n the post-apocalyptic biblical thriller "The Book of Eli," Denzel Washington plays a blind man who feels he's been called by God to carry the last remaining copy of the Bible across the country. Is "The Book of Eli" an engrossing tale about the power of faith or a cartoonish, exploitative distortion of Christianity? (Watch "The Book of Eli" movie trailer)
This is a gripping God 'n' guns hit: "The Book of Eli" is a boon for believers, says John Nolte in Breitbart’s Big Hollywood. It’s not a "hyper-reverent snoozer" like "The Blind Side," but an action-packed hit for God lovers. This movie is long-awaited proof that the "Pagans of the Pacific" are capable of creating films Christians want to watch.
"'Book of Eli' delivers God, guns, and guts"
But there's more violence than values: Devout filmgoers will soon realize that "the brand of Christianity on display in 'Eli' is as warped as they come," says S.E. Cupp in the New York Daily News. Washington’s character is a "crusader" who defends the Bible by "beheading, stabbing, shooting and head-butting" anyone who gets in his way. Only "violent, fundamentalist" Christians will relate to this "Hollywood caricature."
"How Hollywood begat another insult to Christianity"
The movie's strange agenda ultimately fails: Those hoping for an action thriller with "a little bit of Christianity" are unlikely to be "satisfied" by the Book of Eli, says Josh Tyler at Cinemablend. The movie uses "empty religious propaganda" as a "clumsy" plot device. The end result is a "meaningless" film that insults both the faith of true believers — and the intelligence of secular filmgoers.
"'The Book of Eli' movie review"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week