Amid news that Sam's Club, a division of Wal-Mart, will lay off 11,000 workers due to stiffening competition, the mega-retailer has released a new TV commercial (watch below) that's raising questions about the heretofore upbeat company's direction. The scene: A child's birthday party. The twist: A father dressed in a clown get-up from budget-minded Wal-Mart is about to surprise the small guests when he accidentally steps on a metal toy unicorn — and erupts in a prolonged screech of pain, as traumatized children flee. While some have praised the ad as "hilarious," others call it "creepy" and wonder if its "dark humor" is the right approach for the low-priced retail giant. What do you think?
SEE MORE OF THE WEEK'S COVERAGE OF WAL-MART
• Walmart rage: 6 legendary shopper meltdowns
• Walmart vs. Netflix
• Walmart's discount coffin controversy
• Walmart's big Black Friday surprise
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
Subscribe to the Week