mid news that Sam's Club, a division of Wal-Mart, will lay off 11,000 workers due to stiffening competition, the mega-retailer has released a new TV commercial (watch below) that's raising questions about the heretofore upbeat company's direction. The scene: A child's birthday party. The twist: A father dressed in a clown get-up from budget-minded Wal-Mart is about to surprise the small guests when he accidentally steps on a metal toy unicorn — and erupts in a prolonged screech of pain, as traumatized children flee. While some have praised the ad as "hilarious," others call it "creepy" and wonder if its "dark humor" is the right approach for the low-priced retail giant. What do you think?
SEE MORE OF THE WEEK'S COVERAGE OF WAL-MART
• Walmart rage: 6 legendary shopper meltdowns
• Walmart vs. Netflix
• Walmart's discount coffin controversy
• Walmart's big Black Friday surprise
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- What every TV show can learn from Sleepy Hollow
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- The executioners' lament
- Is it finally time to start paying college athletes?
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- China's massive pollution problem
Subscribe to the Week