Amid news that Sam's Club, a division of Wal-Mart, will lay off 11,000 workers due to stiffening competition, the mega-retailer has released a new TV commercial (watch below) that's raising questions about the heretofore upbeat company's direction. The scene: A child's birthday party. The twist: A father dressed in a clown get-up from budget-minded Wal-Mart is about to surprise the small guests when he accidentally steps on a metal toy unicorn — and erupts in a prolonged screech of pain, as traumatized children flee. While some have praised the ad as "hilarious," others call it "creepy" and wonder if its "dark humor" is the right approach for the low-priced retail giant. What do you think?
SEE MORE OF THE WEEK'S COVERAGE OF WAL-MART
• Walmart rage: 6 legendary shopper meltdowns
• Walmart vs. Netflix
• Walmart's discount coffin controversy
• Walmart's big Black Friday surprise
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 26, 2014
- How to cook a perfect rib eye steak
- The week's best photojournalism
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
Subscribe to the Week