ecretary of State Hillary Clinton says she's won't stay on in her current job for two terms, assuming her one-time rival President Obama is reelected in 2012. Clinton told PBS host Tavis Smiley that she is "absolutely not interested" in running for president, but not everyone's buying her denial. Is Clinton floating a bid to unseat her party's sitting president in 2012? (Watch a CNN report about Hillary Clinton's possible presidential run)
Obama-Clinton in 2012 isn't unrealistic: With "the ongoing decline in the president's approval ratings," says Peter Roff in U.S. News, the "chatter" about a Hillary challenge is only growing. It may be "just wishful thinking on the part of those Democrats who have already grown tired of Obama," but why not? Similar unease led Ted Kennedy to challenge President Carter in 1980.
"A Hillary Clinton primary challenge to Obama in 2012?"
A Hillary insurgency would be "awesome," but unlikely: Clinton-Obama 2012 would be the "best rematch since Balboa-Lang II," says Allahpundit in Hot Air. But though "the very thought of it is so sweet that we simply must entertain it," a Hillary primary challenge doesn't make sense. She'd "almost certainly" lose, and she'd then "be staring at so many burned bridges that a run in 2016 would be impossible."
"Hillary: I probably won’t serve two terms as Secretary of State"
With the Clintons, you never know till they pounce: "We shall see what the future holds" for Hillary Clinton, says Darren Lenard Hutchinson at Dissenting Justice. She's pretty adamant about not running for president ever again, but "I have learned not to make any predictions with the Clintons. They love to surprise us."
"What will Hillary Clinton do next?"
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Ryan Seacrest invested $1 million to transform your iPhone into a BlackBerry
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: The world's front pages
- How Vanessa became Jacob
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
Subscribe to the Week