After an eight year time out from acting, Mel Gibson returns to multiplexes Friday in the revenge movie "Edge of Darkness." (Watch the trailer below.) The Oscar-winning director of "Braveheart" and "Passion of the Christ" was disgraced in 2006 after he blurted out anti-Semitic slurs while being arrested for drunk driving. While some critics say they have no particular desire to see Gibson make a comeback, others are hoping the critically-acclaimed "Edge of Darkness" will heal Gibson's tattered public image. Is Gibson back?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- California's epic drought
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
Subscribe to the Week