Listen in as John Hockenberry and Celeste Headlee, co-hosts of "The Takeaway," bring you an audio version of The Week's "Good Week, Bad Week.” You can call in with Good Week, Bad Week nominations of your own at 877-8-MY TAKE, or e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org. See more from "The Takeaway."
Good week for:
Punxsutawney Phil, who was pulled out of his burrow on a cold day to look for his shadow, despite pleas by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals to replace him with a robot. The animal “is being treated better than the average child in Pennsylvania,” said a Punxsutawney Groundhog Club official.
Remakes, after 80 singers, rappers, and movie stars ranging from Barbra Streisand to Snoop Dogg recorded a new version of the 1985 hit “We Are the World” to raise funds for Haiti. “I don’t know how to sing,” rapper Lil Wayne admitted after his solo.
Taylor Swift, who took home four Grammy Awards this week, including Best Country Album and Album of the Year.
Bad week for:
Taylor Swift, who sang off-key while performing on the Grammy show, and then, during a photo shoot, dropped one of her four Grammies, breaking it in pieces.
Going green, after Osama bin Laden officially came out against global warming. In a recording aired by Al-Jazeera, bin Laden says that “all the industrial states are to blame for climate change” and specifically criticizes “George Bush Jr.’s” climate policies.
The really, really lonely, after one house of the Dutch parliament approved a ban on sex between humans and animals. Bestiality is currently legal in the Netherlands, which is the source of 80 percent of bestiality videos on the Internet.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
Subscribe to the Week