During an occasionally hard-hitting speech at today's National Prayer Breakfast in Washington D.C., President Barack Obama drew laughter and applause from the bipartisan crowd when he cracked a "Birther" joke, the first time he's acknowledged persistent rumors and lawsuits asserting that he's a Muslim born in Kenya (watch clip below). Some on the right have criticized the president for the joke, saying questions about his citizenship "go to the core of the American republic," while liberals are urging Obama to ignore such "nonsense."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How I lost all my money
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week