uring an occasionally hard-hitting speech at today's National Prayer Breakfast in Washington D.C., President Barack Obama drew laughter and applause from the bipartisan crowd when he cracked a "Birther" joke, the first time he's acknowledged persistent rumors and lawsuits asserting that he's a Muslim born in Kenya (watch clip below). Some on the right have criticized the president for the joke, saying questions about his citizenship "go to the core of the American republic," while liberals are urging Obama to ignore such "nonsense."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week