During an occasionally hard-hitting speech at today's National Prayer Breakfast in Washington D.C., President Barack Obama drew laughter and applause from the bipartisan crowd when he cracked a "Birther" joke, the first time he's acknowledged persistent rumors and lawsuits asserting that he's a Muslim born in Kenya (watch clip below). Some on the right have criticized the president for the joke, saying questions about his citizenship "go to the core of the American republic," while liberals are urging Obama to ignore such "nonsense."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week