During an occasionally hard-hitting speech at today's National Prayer Breakfast in Washington D.C., President Barack Obama drew laughter and applause from the bipartisan crowd when he cracked a "Birther" joke, the first time he's acknowledged persistent rumors and lawsuits asserting that he's a Muslim born in Kenya (watch clip below). Some on the right have criticized the president for the joke, saying questions about his citizenship "go to the core of the American republic," while liberals are urging Obama to ignore such "nonsense."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Boyhood's refreshingly unsentimental take on motherhood
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- How a drafting error could doom Obama's carbon regulations
Subscribe to the Week