espite protests from child advocates, a Brazilian judge has ruled that 7-year-old Julia Lira can dance as queen of her samba school in Rio's famously erotic carnival parade. One critic said letting a third grader dance beside scantily clad women will promote "a sexual image of children." Julia's parents say that's nonsense — and that their daughter just loves to dance: "Any man who looks at a 7-year-old child and feels any sort of excitement should go see a doctor," says her father, Marco Lira.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- How Captain America won over China
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week