espite protests from child advocates, a Brazilian judge has ruled that 7-year-old Julia Lira can dance as queen of her samba school in Rio's famously erotic carnival parade. One critic said letting a third grader dance beside scantily clad women will promote "a sexual image of children." Julia's parents say that's nonsense — and that their daughter just loves to dance: "Any man who looks at a 7-year-old child and feels any sort of excitement should go see a doctor," says her father, Marco Lira.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
Subscribe to the Week