Listen in as John Hockenberry and Celeste Headlee, co-hosts of "The Takeaway," bring you an audio version of The Week's "Good Week, Bad Week.” You can call in with Good Week, Bad Week nominations of your own at 877-8-MY TAKE, or e-mail them to email@example.com. See more from "The Takeaway."
Good week for:
Overtime, after it was revealed that the highest-paid city employee in Madison, Wisc., was bus driver John E. Nelson, who earned $159,258 in 2009, including $109,892 in overtime and other extra pay. Seven city bus drivers made more than $100,000 last year.
Bush nostalgia, after a group of business owners caused a furor by erecting a billboard on Minnesota’s I-35 of George W. Bush smirking and waving, with the words “Miss me yet?” The people who paid for the billboard, said the advertising firm that created it, are not fans of the current administration.
The New Orleans Saints, whose Super Bowl victory last week was witnessed by 106.5 million viewers—the most-watched television event in U.S. history.
Bad week for:
Riding shotgun, after Long Island, N.Y., resident Kathleen Frascinella was ticketed for driving in the high-occupancy-vehicle lane of the Long Island Expressway with an elaborately dressed dummy. A police officer became suspicious because the dummy was wearing sunglasses on a cloudy day.
Productivity, after an industry study found that in December, Americans viewed 33.2 billion online videos, with an average duration of 4.1 minutes. That’s a combined total of well over 250,000 years.
Akbar Zib, a respected, high-ranking Pakistani official, who was rejected as ambassador to Saudi Arabia because his name translates to “Biggest Dick” in Arabic.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Why we gossip, according to science
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week