With U.S. unemployment rates still hovering near 10 percent, 25-year-old Ohioan Jimmy Grey, who's been out of work for almost a year, has used his recent time off to build a 25-by-25-foot igloo — with four rooms, six-foot ceilings, a fireplace and an entertainment room equipped with a flat-screen TV — in his parent's backyard, about 30 miles east of Cleveland. While some commentators praise Grey's creative snow construction, others claim the "man cave" to be simply another example of President Obama's "abject failure" to produce more jobs.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week