With U.S. unemployment rates still hovering near 10 percent, 25-year-old Ohioan Jimmy Grey, who's been out of work for almost a year, has used his recent time off to build a 25-by-25-foot igloo — with four rooms, six-foot ceilings, a fireplace and an entertainment room equipped with a flat-screen TV — in his parent's backyard, about 30 miles east of Cleveland. While some commentators praise Grey's creative snow construction, others claim the "man cave" to be simply another example of President Obama's "abject failure" to produce more jobs.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
Subscribe to the Week