isten in as John Hockenberry and Celeste Headlee, co-hosts of "The Takeaway," bring you an audio version of The Week's "Good Week, Bad Week.” You can call in with Good Week, Bad Week nominations of your own at 877-8-MY TAKE, or e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org. See more from "The Takeaway."
Good week for:
Crappy Valentine’s Day presents, after Minnesota farmer Bruce Andersland created a half-mile-wide heart out of cow manure as a Valentine’s Day gift for his wife. A happy Beth Andersland called the heart “the biggest and most original’’ Valentine she had ever received.
The paranoid, after the Virginia House of Delegates voted to make it illegal to implant microchips in people without their permission. Republican Delegate Mark L. Cole said chips might be someday used as the “mark of the beast” described in the Book of Revelation. The Georgia Senate recently passed a similar ban.
Bias, after an Atlanta alternative newspaper fired a veteran news reporter for trying to be objective. Jonathan Springston was let go, said the editor of the Atlanta Progressive News, because he insisted on clinging to “the notion that there was an objective reality that could be reported objectively.’’
Bad week for:
Apartment living, after 68 percent of New York City residents in a recent survey said they’d overheard a neighbor having sex. “It’s like a train wreck—you have to stop what you’re doing and listen, even if it’s awful,” said Melissa Buck, 29, of Manhattan.
Airline passengers who believe in curses, after Chicago’s O’Hare airport announced it would relocate an old cemetery containing 1,200 graves to make room for a new runway.
Airline passengers with cold feet, after American Airlines announced it would start charging $8 for blankets.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The worrying rise of the anti-vaccination movement
Subscribe to the Week