Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi, the pint-sized hellion who became a household name as a cast member on MTV's "Jersey Shore," bills herself as an archetypal Italian-American "guidette." But the gossip blogophere has been rocked by fellow cast member Jenni "Jwoww" Farley's revelation that Snooki, though adopted by a Italian-American family, is actually Chilean. (Watch an MSNBC report about Snooki's cultural heritage.) Not surprisingly, the snark has been flying:
"Not since Milli Vanilli have we felt this duped." - Radar Online
"Just to put things in perspective, those blue people in Avatar were more real than anything you saw on Jersey Shore." - The Superficial
"Whatever. I guess I’ll just chalk this up to another Jersey Shore mystery — like how people always yell at Ronnie to go back to Jersey, even though he’s in Jersey." - Boston.com
"Being trashy idiots has no ethnic boundaries, really." - Hot Mamma Gossip
"They can call themselves whatever they want! Just don't call them cancelled!" - Perez Hilton
"Italians everywhere are rejoicing at this." - The Hollywood Gossip
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- How to make classic pulled pork
- What if The Purge was real?
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
Subscribe to the Week