Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi, the pint-sized hellion who became a household name as a cast member on MTV's "Jersey Shore," bills herself as an archetypal Italian-American "guidette." But the gossip blogophere has been rocked by fellow cast member Jenni "Jwoww" Farley's revelation that Snooki, though adopted by a Italian-American family, is actually Chilean. (Watch an MSNBC report about Snooki's cultural heritage.) Not surprisingly, the snark has been flying:
"Not since Milli Vanilli have we felt this duped." - Radar Online
"Just to put things in perspective, those blue people in Avatar were more real than anything you saw on Jersey Shore." - The Superficial
"Whatever. I guess I’ll just chalk this up to another Jersey Shore mystery — like how people always yell at Ronnie to go back to Jersey, even though he’s in Jersey." - Boston.com
"Being trashy idiots has no ethnic boundaries, really." - Hot Mamma Gossip
"They can call themselves whatever they want! Just don't call them cancelled!" - Perez Hilton
"Italians everywhere are rejoicing at this." - The Hollywood Gossip
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week