icole "Snooki" Polizzi, the pint-sized hellion who became a household name as a cast member on MTV's "Jersey Shore," bills herself as an archetypal Italian-American "guidette." But the gossip blogophere has been rocked by fellow cast member Jenni "Jwoww" Farley's revelation that Snooki, though adopted by a Italian-American family, is actually Chilean. (Watch an MSNBC report about Snooki's cultural heritage.) Not surprisingly, the snark has been flying:
"Not since Milli Vanilli have we felt this duped." - Radar Online
"Just to put things in perspective, those blue people in Avatar were more real than anything you saw on Jersey Shore." - The Superficial
"Whatever. I guess I’ll just chalk this up to another Jersey Shore mystery — like how people always yell at Ronnie to go back to Jersey, even though he’s in Jersey." - Boston.com
"Being trashy idiots has no ethnic boundaries, really." - Hot Mamma Gossip
"They can call themselves whatever they want! Just don't call them cancelled!" - Perez Hilton
"Italians everywhere are rejoicing at this." - The Hollywood Gossip
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Here are the people who want to take a one way trip to Mars
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week