Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi, the pint-sized hellion who became a household name as a cast member on MTV's "Jersey Shore," bills herself as an archetypal Italian-American "guidette." But the gossip blogophere has been rocked by fellow cast member Jenni "Jwoww" Farley's revelation that Snooki, though adopted by a Italian-American family, is actually Chilean. (Watch an MSNBC report about Snooki's cultural heritage.) Not surprisingly, the snark has been flying:
"Not since Milli Vanilli have we felt this duped." - Radar Online
"Just to put things in perspective, those blue people in Avatar were more real than anything you saw on Jersey Shore." - The Superficial
"Whatever. I guess I’ll just chalk this up to another Jersey Shore mystery — like how people always yell at Ronnie to go back to Jersey, even though he’s in Jersey." - Boston.com
"Being trashy idiots has no ethnic boundaries, really." - Hot Mamma Gossip
"They can call themselves whatever they want! Just don't call them cancelled!" - Perez Hilton
"Italians everywhere are rejoicing at this." - The Hollywood Gossip
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week