Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi, the pint-sized hellion who became a household name as a cast member on MTV's "Jersey Shore," bills herself as an archetypal Italian-American "guidette." But the gossip blogophere has been rocked by fellow cast member Jenni "Jwoww" Farley's revelation that Snooki, though adopted by a Italian-American family, is actually Chilean. (Watch an MSNBC report about Snooki's cultural heritage.) Not surprisingly, the snark has been flying:
"Not since Milli Vanilli have we felt this duped." - Radar Online
"Just to put things in perspective, those blue people in Avatar were more real than anything you saw on Jersey Shore." - The Superficial
"Whatever. I guess I’ll just chalk this up to another Jersey Shore mystery — like how people always yell at Ronnie to go back to Jersey, even though he’s in Jersey." - Boston.com
"Being trashy idiots has no ethnic boundaries, really." - Hot Mamma Gossip
"They can call themselves whatever they want! Just don't call them cancelled!" - Perez Hilton
"Italians everywhere are rejoicing at this." - The Hollywood Gossip
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
Subscribe to the Week