Director Kevin Smith rejected apologies from Southwest Airlines after the airline kicked him off a recent Los Angeles–bound flight because the pilot thought Smith was too fat to occupy a single seat. The Clerks director, while admitting he is “portly,” complained that he “passed the stinkin’ armrest-test” and could buckle his seat belt. The airline issued an apology and refunded his fare, but Smith says he won’t be satisfied until Southwest admits that he “wasn’t too fat to fly.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week