Is Dick Cheney still a GOP rock star? If the former VP's surprise appearance at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) is any indication, the answer's a resounding "Yes!" According to CBS News, "One young man started screaming, 'Oh my f*%#@ing God!'" Other attendees began chanting "Run, Dick, Run!" The crowd gave the famously stern Cheney — who's said he won't seek the presidency — a raucous two-minute standing ovation to which he smilingly responded, "A welcome like that's almost enough to make me want to run for office again." While Cheney's political future has long inspired speculation (and at least one "Draft Cheney" website), this incident has re-opened the question. "Don't be surprised if Cheney gets "write-in votes" in 2102, says Salon. Watch the crowd's response:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week