Is Dick Cheney still a GOP rock star? If the former VP's surprise appearance at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) is any indication, the answer's a resounding "Yes!" According to CBS News, "One young man started screaming, 'Oh my f*%#@ing God!'" Other attendees began chanting "Run, Dick, Run!" The crowd gave the famously stern Cheney — who's said he won't seek the presidency — a raucous two-minute standing ovation to which he smilingly responded, "A welcome like that's almost enough to make me want to run for office again." While Cheney's political future has long inspired speculation (and at least one "Draft Cheney" website), this incident has re-opened the question. "Don't be surprised if Cheney gets "write-in votes" in 2102, says Salon. Watch the crowd's response:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week