Is Dick Cheney still a GOP rock star? If the former VP's surprise appearance at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) is any indication, the answer's a resounding "Yes!" According to CBS News, "One young man started screaming, 'Oh my f*%#@ing God!'" Other attendees began chanting "Run, Dick, Run!" The crowd gave the famously stern Cheney — who's said he won't seek the presidency — a raucous two-minute standing ovation to which he smilingly responded, "A welcome like that's almost enough to make me want to run for office again." While Cheney's political future has long inspired speculation (and at least one "Draft Cheney" website), this incident has re-opened the question. "Don't be surprised if Cheney gets "write-in votes" in 2102, says Salon. Watch the crowd's response:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
Subscribe to the Week