Is Dick Cheney still a GOP rock star? If the former VP's surprise appearance at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) is any indication, the answer's a resounding "Yes!" According to CBS News, "One young man started screaming, 'Oh my f*%#@ing God!'" Other attendees began chanting "Run, Dick, Run!" The crowd gave the famously stern Cheney — who's said he won't seek the presidency — a raucous two-minute standing ovation to which he smilingly responded, "A welcome like that's almost enough to make me want to run for office again." While Cheney's political future has long inspired speculation (and at least one "Draft Cheney" website), this incident has re-opened the question. "Don't be surprised if Cheney gets "write-in votes" in 2102, says Salon. Watch the crowd's response:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
Subscribe to the Week