Is Dick Cheney still a GOP rock star? If the former VP's surprise appearance at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) is any indication, the answer's a resounding "Yes!" According to CBS News, "One young man started screaming, 'Oh my f*%#@ing God!'" Other attendees began chanting "Run, Dick, Run!" The crowd gave the famously stern Cheney — who's said he won't seek the presidency — a raucous two-minute standing ovation to which he smilingly responded, "A welcome like that's almost enough to make me want to run for office again." While Cheney's political future has long inspired speculation (and at least one "Draft Cheney" website), this incident has re-opened the question. "Don't be surprised if Cheney gets "write-in votes" in 2102, says Salon. Watch the crowd's response:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The militarization of America’s police
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
Subscribe to the Week