Good day for: Classy farewells, as Alex, a famous African Grey parrot that knew 150 words, along with his shapes and colors, died this week. He was 31. Alex’s last words as a Harvard researcher put him into his cage the night he died were, “You be good, see you tomorrow. I love you.” (The New York Times, free registration required)
Bad day for: Hillary Clinton’s treasurer, as the senator and former first lady’s campaign announced Monday it was returning $850,000 in donations from disgraced Democratic donor Norman Hsu. At first, Sen. Clinton’s campaign estimated the amount Hsu had given Clinton’s senatorial and presidential campaigns, and her political action committee, at just $23,000. (AP on AOL News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- The battle over assisted suicide
Subscribe to the Week