Good day for: Classy farewells, as Alex, a famous African Grey parrot that knew 150 words, along with his shapes and colors, died this week. He was 31. Alex’s last words as a Harvard researcher put him into his cage the night he died were, “You be good, see you tomorrow. I love you.” (The New York Times, free registration required)
Bad day for: Hillary Clinton’s treasurer, as the senator and former first lady’s campaign announced Monday it was returning $850,000 in donations from disgraced Democratic donor Norman Hsu. At first, Sen. Clinton’s campaign estimated the amount Hsu had given Clinton’s senatorial and presidential campaigns, and her political action committee, at just $23,000. (AP on AOL News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
Subscribe to the Week