Good day for: Classy farewells, as Alex, a famous African Grey parrot that knew 150 words, along with his shapes and colors, died this week. He was 31. Alex’s last words as a Harvard researcher put him into his cage the night he died were, “You be good, see you tomorrow. I love you.” (The New York Times, free registration required)
Bad day for: Hillary Clinton’s treasurer, as the senator and former first lady’s campaign announced Monday it was returning $850,000 in donations from disgraced Democratic donor Norman Hsu. At first, Sen. Clinton’s campaign estimated the amount Hsu had given Clinton’s senatorial and presidential campaigns, and her political action committee, at just $23,000. (AP on AOL News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Briefing: Offshore drilling and the environment
Subscribe to the Week