Good Day, Bad Day
Name-calling, feeling all right
GOOD DAY FOR: Name-calling, as Christie’s next week will auction the rights to pick the scientific name for a sinuous shark recently discovered in Indonesian waters. The money will go into a fund for protecting the shark’s habitat. Selling the rights to name new species is catching on as scientists and conservationists struggle to raise money. (The Washington Post, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Feeling all right, as Verizon Wireless is putting 44 ring tones from Bob Marley songs back on its Web site despite fresh threats from the late reggae singer’s estate to file a trademark infringement lawsuit. (The New York Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- The real story behind The Conjuring and four other horror movies 'based on a true story'
Subscribe to the Week