Good Day, Bad Day
Name-calling, feeling all right
GOOD DAY FOR: Name-calling, as Christie’s next week will auction the rights to pick the scientific name for a sinuous shark recently discovered in Indonesian waters. The money will go into a fund for protecting the shark’s habitat. Selling the rights to name new species is catching on as scientists and conservationists struggle to raise money. (The Washington Post, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Feeling all right, as Verizon Wireless is putting 44 ring tones from Bob Marley songs back on its Web site despite fresh threats from the late reggae singer’s estate to file a trademark infringement lawsuit. (The New York Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week