Good Day, Bad Day
Name-calling, feeling all right
GOOD DAY FOR: Name-calling, as Christie’s next week will auction the rights to pick the scientific name for a sinuous shark recently discovered in Indonesian waters. The money will go into a fund for protecting the shark’s habitat. Selling the rights to name new species is catching on as scientists and conservationists struggle to raise money. (The Washington Post, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Feeling all right, as Verizon Wireless is putting 44 ring tones from Bob Marley songs back on its Web site despite fresh threats from the late reggae singer’s estate to file a trademark infringement lawsuit. (The New York Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
Subscribe to the Week