Good Day, Bad Day
Name-calling, feeling all right
GOOD DAY FOR: Name-calling, as Christie’s next week will auction the rights to pick the scientific name for a sinuous shark recently discovered in Indonesian waters. The money will go into a fund for protecting the shark’s habitat. Selling the rights to name new species is catching on as scientists and conservationists struggle to raise money. (The Washington Post, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Feeling all right, as Verizon Wireless is putting 44 ring tones from Bob Marley songs back on its Web site despite fresh threats from the late reggae singer’s estate to file a trademark infringement lawsuit. (The New York Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week