GOOD WEEK FOR: Cheap thrills, with the launch, by the British division of the dime-store chain Woolworth's, of a budget line of Champagne called Worthit! Sporting "a fresh and balanced character of fruit and cream," the French-made wine will lighten the pockets of oenophiles by a mere 5 pounds (about $10) a bottle.
BAD WEEK FOR: Alumni relations, after American University's newsletter congratulated graduates and "life partners" Ross Weil, 29, and Brett Royce, 28, for getting married in Massachusetts. The two former roommates say they are neither married nor gay, and are suing.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
Subscribe to the Week