GOOD WEEK FOR: Cheap thrills, with the launch, by the British division of the dime-store chain Woolworth's, of a budget line of Champagne called Worthit! Sporting "a fresh and balanced character of fruit and cream," the French-made wine will lighten the pockets of oenophiles by a mere 5 pounds (about $10) a bottle.
BAD WEEK FOR: Alumni relations, after American University's newsletter congratulated graduates and "life partners" Ross Weil, 29, and Brett Royce, 28, for getting married in Massachusetts. The two former roommates say they are neither married nor gay, and are suing.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week