GOOD WEEK FOR: Cheap thrills, with the launch, by the British division of the dime-store chain Woolworth's, of a budget line of Champagne called Worthit! Sporting "a fresh and balanced character of fruit and cream," the French-made wine will lighten the pockets of oenophiles by a mere 5 pounds (about $10) a bottle.
BAD WEEK FOR: Alumni relations, after American University's newsletter congratulated graduates and "life partners" Ross Weil, 29, and Brett Royce, 28, for getting married in Massachusetts. The two former roommates say they are neither married nor gay, and are suing.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
Subscribe to the Week