espite soaring grocery prices, Congress is handing big farmers and food corporations a farm bill upholding “subsidies that wreak havoc on our land and diets.”
Christopher D. Cook/The Christian Science Monitor
Since signing up as a supporter for Obama AND Clinton, the campaigns have sent me more daily e-mails “than I get from my daughter at college” in a month -- “far more, actually.”Peter Funt/The Boston Globe
All this talk of 'them' and 'they' and 'red' and 'blue' deprives us of what we really need -- a shared national purpose that “surmounts” our differences.
Leonard Pitts Jr./The Miami Herald
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
Subscribe to the Week