espite soaring grocery prices, Congress is handing big farmers and food corporations a farm bill upholding “subsidies that wreak havoc on our land and diets.”
Christopher D. Cook/The Christian Science Monitor
Since signing up as a supporter for Obama AND Clinton, the campaigns have sent me more daily e-mails “than I get from my daughter at college” in a month -- “far more, actually.”Peter Funt/The Boston Globe
All this talk of 'them' and 'they' and 'red' and 'blue' deprives us of what we really need -- a shared national purpose that “surmounts” our differences.
Leonard Pitts Jr./The Miami Herald
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Rise of the machines
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's time to kill school picture day
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 5 words that are spelled weirdly because someone got the etymology wrong
Subscribe to the Week