Good Day, Bad Day
Heaven and Earth, a healthy work ethic
GOOD DAY FOR: Heaven and Earth, as Vatican City, with assistance from a Hungarian firm’s donation, will become the world’s first carbon-neutral state. Klimafa, a Hungarian carbon brokerage, will plant carbon-absorbing trees on a 37-acre swath of environmentally degraded land by the Tisza River. The newly renamed Vatican climate forest will absorb about $130,000 worth of carbon, based on current European carbon-market prices. (The New York Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: A healthy work ethic, as a bakery worker in Alberta, Canada, was fined about $1,000 for disregarding orders and showing up to work before fully recovering from salmonella. The bakery and its owner were also fined. “We almost never have people who disobey the order to stay off work,” said local health official Gerry Predy. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week