Good Day, Bad Day
Heaven and Earth, a healthy work ethic
GOOD DAY FOR: Heaven and Earth, as Vatican City, with assistance from a Hungarian firm’s donation, will become the world’s first carbon-neutral state. Klimafa, a Hungarian carbon brokerage, will plant carbon-absorbing trees on a 37-acre swath of environmentally degraded land by the Tisza River. The newly renamed Vatican climate forest will absorb about $130,000 worth of carbon, based on current European carbon-market prices. (The New York Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: A healthy work ethic, as a bakery worker in Alberta, Canada, was fined about $1,000 for disregarding orders and showing up to work before fully recovering from salmonella. The bakery and its owner were also fined. “We almost never have people who disobey the order to stay off work,” said local health official Gerry Predy. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- How Captain America won over China
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week