Good Day, Bad Day
Heaven and Earth, a healthy work ethic
GOOD DAY FOR: Heaven and Earth, as Vatican City, with assistance from a Hungarian firm’s donation, will become the world’s first carbon-neutral state. Klimafa, a Hungarian carbon brokerage, will plant carbon-absorbing trees on a 37-acre swath of environmentally degraded land by the Tisza River. The newly renamed Vatican climate forest will absorb about $130,000 worth of carbon, based on current European carbon-market prices. (The New York Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: A healthy work ethic, as a bakery worker in Alberta, Canada, was fined about $1,000 for disregarding orders and showing up to work before fully recovering from salmonella. The bakery and its owner were also fined. “We almost never have people who disobey the order to stay off work,” said local health official Gerry Predy. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
- 18 Rosh Hashanah recipes for a sweet new year
Subscribe to the Week