Good Day, Bad Day
Heaven and Earth, a healthy work ethic
GOOD DAY FOR: Heaven and Earth, as Vatican City, with assistance from a Hungarian firm’s donation, will become the world’s first carbon-neutral state. Klimafa, a Hungarian carbon brokerage, will plant carbon-absorbing trees on a 37-acre swath of environmentally degraded land by the Tisza River. The newly renamed Vatican climate forest will absorb about $130,000 worth of carbon, based on current European carbon-market prices. (The New York Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: A healthy work ethic, as a bakery worker in Alberta, Canada, was fined about $1,000 for disregarding orders and showing up to work before fully recovering from salmonella. The bakery and its owner were also fined. “We almost never have people who disobey the order to stay off work,” said local health official Gerry Predy. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
- Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?
Subscribe to the Week