That depends where you live, said Matt Woolsey in Forbes. “If you’re looking to rent property,” you’ll get more for your money in Atlanta than you would in most other major cities. Thanks to continued building downtown and in the beltway, rents have stayed flat. Residents in Atlanta shell out only 21 percent of their annual income on rent. In San Francisco, by comparison, the average renter shells out 45 percent of income. Two other safe havens for renters include Denver and Phoenix, “where yields and supply problems are giving investors fits, but making life easy for renters.” Interestingly, Miami and Las Vegas, which had some of the lowest rental vacancy rates during the housing boom, have actually seen their tight markets ease a bit. Developers built an oversupply of condos, hoping to sell them. But now “unsold condos are moving into the rental supply as sellers try to wait out the inventory glut.”
A relatively robust rental market could be good news for homeowners who are having a tough time selling, said Kate Ashford in Money. Rather than sell at a loss, they can ride out the slow housing market by renting out their digs. Before you consider this course, recognize that “landlording is a job every step of the way, from setting a price to finding a renter.” Make sure to charge enough to cover costs, which include the mortgage, taxes, insurance, and upkeep. Also think about tax consequences. If you rent out the house for three of the five years, you may not be eligible for capital-gains tax breaks. Finally, “get used to the idea that not everyone will care for your home the way you do.”
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- All the World Cup mascots, ranked
- The 2014 World Cup draw: Team U.S.A. is screwed
Subscribe to the Week