Best Business Commentary
EU antitrust ruling certainly “socks Microsoft in the pocketbook,” says Fortune’s Jon Fortt in CNNMoney.com. “The A in the new AOL may as well stand for advertising,” says Catherine Holahan in BusinessWeek.com.
EU hits Microsoft. Who's next?
Yesterday’s European Union antitrust ruling certainly “socks Microsoft in the pocketbook,” says Fortune’s Jon Fortt in CNNMoney.com. But the ones who should really worry are other “U.S. tech giants that have run afoul” of the EU in recent years. Companies like Intel, Apple, and Google might discover that “emboldened EU regulators are worse for them than for Microsoft.” The EU ruling doesn’t focus on Microsoft’s core business, but European regulators are looking at the “bread and butter” products of the other firms. Apple, with its “interoperability”-challenged iTunes/iPod combo, is the one most as risk.
A is for (Big) Apple
“The A in the new AOL may as well stand for advertising,” says Catherine Holahan in BusinessWeek.com. AOL’s move from Dulles, Va., to New York City—the “home of Madison Avenue” ad money—is part of its move to assemble a lucrative online ad network. This “puts it squarely in competition with Yahoo, Google, and Microsoft,” but also more “established New York media companies” that rely on print, TV, and radio ad revenues. In “difficult economic times,” marketers trying to “justify budgets” might opt for the tracking ability of online ads. At least “that's the point AOL will make in Manhattan.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- 10 things you need to know today: March 8, 2014
Subscribe to the Week