Britney's gloomy Monday
A former body guard shook up Britney Spears' custody battle with Kevin Federline, saying the pop star used drugs in front of her kids. Then Spears' lawyer and manager dropped her. It was "one the worst days" she has had in a long time, said Pere
Aformer bodyguard dropped a bombshell on Monday in pop-star Britney Spears’ custody battle with Kevin Federline. Tony Barretto, 28, testified that he feared for Spears’ children because of “issues of nudity” and “drug use.”
Monday has to qualify as “one of the worst days Britney Spears has had in a long time,” said PerezHilton.com, “and she’s had some pretty bad ones recently.” In the span of a few hours, her lawyer and “then her manager dropped her.” And then things really started going wrong.
“Sources tell me that Spears is just a breath away” from losing custody of her kids, said Roger Friedman on FoxNews.com. Barretto’s horror story could be all the Los Angeles Family Court needed to hear to decide that Sean Preston, 2, and Jayden James, 1, should live with their father, Kevin Federline. And “it’s not like he’s Father of the Year.”
Before quitting, Spears’ attorney, Laura Wasser, denied that the singer used drugs, People magazine reported. Wasser said that Barretto was merely bitter because Spears fired him in May. Wasser said that Spears and Federline—her former backup dancer—will continue to split custody for now. According to court documents, Spears has income of $737,868 a month, while Federline has no "net income after business expenses." His spousal support of $20,000 a month dries up in November.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
Subscribe to the Week