eaWorld Orlando resumed its popular killer whale shows over the weekend, kicking off with an emotional tribute to Dawn Brancheau, the trainer who was pulled into the water and drowned by a whale named Tilikum last week as horrified spectators watched. As Sea World officials try to figure out what went wrong, several theories are being suggested: Animal rights activists say cooping up whales makes them "neurotic" and unpredictable, while a former SeaWorld trainer says Brancheau put her ponytail too close to Tilikum's mouth, and he grabbed it thinking it was a toy. Watch Brancheau and Tilikum moments before the attack in this video shot by a tourist. Were there warning signs?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: April 17, 2014
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week