eaWorld Orlando resumed its popular killer whale shows over the weekend, kicking off with an emotional tribute to Dawn Brancheau, the trainer who was pulled into the water and drowned by a whale named Tilikum last week as horrified spectators watched. As Sea World officials try to figure out what went wrong, several theories are being suggested: Animal rights activists say cooping up whales makes them "neurotic" and unpredictable, while a former SeaWorld trainer says Brancheau put her ponytail too close to Tilikum's mouth, and he grabbed it thinking it was a toy. Watch Brancheau and Tilikum moments before the attack in this video shot by a tourist. Were there warning signs?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- What I learned from totally unplugging and shutting up for three days
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- The rise of the global middle class is our best hope to stop climate change
Subscribe to the Week