eaWorld Orlando resumed its popular killer whale shows over the weekend, kicking off with an emotional tribute to Dawn Brancheau, the trainer who was pulled into the water and drowned by a whale named Tilikum last week as horrified spectators watched. As Sea World officials try to figure out what went wrong, several theories are being suggested: Animal rights activists say cooping up whales makes them "neurotic" and unpredictable, while a former SeaWorld trainer says Brancheau put her ponytail too close to Tilikum's mouth, and he grabbed it thinking it was a toy. Watch Brancheau and Tilikum moments before the attack in this video shot by a tourist. Were there warning signs?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: August 29, 2014
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 8 ridiculous Vladimir Putin publicity stunts
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week