eaWorld Orlando resumed its popular killer whale shows over the weekend, kicking off with an emotional tribute to Dawn Brancheau, the trainer who was pulled into the water and drowned by a whale named Tilikum last week as horrified spectators watched. As Sea World officials try to figure out what went wrong, several theories are being suggested: Animal rights activists say cooping up whales makes them "neurotic" and unpredictable, while a former SeaWorld trainer says Brancheau put her ponytail too close to Tilikum's mouth, and he grabbed it thinking it was a toy. Watch Brancheau and Tilikum moments before the attack in this video shot by a tourist. Were there warning signs?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- The worrying rise of the anti-vaccination movement
- Can Rand Paul avoid the Neville Chamberlain trap?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
Subscribe to the Week