Is Sen. Jim Bunning a disgruntled fiscal responsibility warrior, or just plain "insane"? That's the question on people's minds after the Kentucky Republican unilaterally blocked a popular $10 billion unemployment benefits extension package and later raised his middle finger to reporters. While a few Republican senators seemingly supported Bunning's personal crusade against deficit spending, both the White House and conservative commentators have called his actions "irrational," and others have hinted that he's simply "lost his marbles." (Reportedly, Bill Clinton once said that the Bunning "sends shivers up [my] spine.) Watch Sen. Bunning, who's since removed his opposition, react to reporters questions below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
Subscribe to the Week