Is Sen. Jim Bunning a disgruntled fiscal responsibility warrior, or just plain "insane"? That's the question on people's minds after the Kentucky Republican unilaterally blocked a popular $10 billion unemployment benefits extension package and later raised his middle finger to reporters. While a few Republican senators seemingly supported Bunning's personal crusade against deficit spending, both the White House and conservative commentators have called his actions "irrational," and others have hinted that he's simply "lost his marbles." (Reportedly, Bill Clinton once said that the Bunning "sends shivers up [my] spine.) Watch Sen. Bunning, who's since removed his opposition, react to reporters questions below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- How to make classic pulled pork
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
Subscribe to the Week