Is Sen. Jim Bunning a disgruntled fiscal responsibility warrior, or just plain "insane"? That's the question on people's minds after the Kentucky Republican unilaterally blocked a popular $10 billion unemployment benefits extension package and later raised his middle finger to reporters. While a few Republican senators seemingly supported Bunning's personal crusade against deficit spending, both the White House and conservative commentators have called his actions "irrational," and others have hinted that he's simply "lost his marbles." (Reportedly, Bill Clinton once said that the Bunning "sends shivers up [my] spine.) Watch Sen. Bunning, who's since removed his opposition, react to reporters questions below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
Subscribe to the Week