Long dismissed as a B-list actress with a gift for romantic comedies and reliable box-office appeal, Sandra Bullock finally earned recognition last night, grabbing the Best Picture Oscar for "The Blind Side." Also earning accolades: Her tearful Oscar speech, a passionate variation on the "litany of thank-yous" formula that some are calling the best in the awards' history. Decide for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- Rise of the machines
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week