Long dismissed as a B-list actress with a gift for romantic comedies and reliable box-office appeal, Sandra Bullock finally earned recognition last night, grabbing the Best Picture Oscar for "The Blind Side." Also earning accolades: Her tearful Oscar speech, a passionate variation on the "litany of thank-yous" formula that some are calling the best in the awards' history. Decide for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
Subscribe to the Week