Long dismissed as a B-list actress with a gift for romantic comedies and reliable box-office appeal, Sandra Bullock finally earned recognition last night, grabbing the Best Picture Oscar for "The Blind Side." Also earning accolades: Her tearful Oscar speech, a passionate variation on the "litany of thank-yous" formula that some are calling the best in the awards' history. Decide for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
When Americans banned Christmas
Subscribe to the Week