Long dismissed as a B-list actress with a gift for romantic comedies and reliable box-office appeal, Sandra Bullock finally earned recognition last night, grabbing the Best Picture Oscar for "The Blind Side." Also earning accolades: Her tearful Oscar speech, a passionate variation on the "litany of thank-yous" formula that some are calling the best in the awards' history. Decide for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Face it, ladies: We can't all be beautiful
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Don't hate the 'poor door'
Subscribe to the Week