Long dismissed as a B-list actress with a gift for romantic comedies and reliable box-office appeal, Sandra Bullock finally earned recognition last night, grabbing the Best Picture Oscar for "The Blind Side." Also earning accolades: Her tearful Oscar speech, a passionate variation on the "litany of thank-yous" formula that some are calling the best in the awards' history. Decide for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- California's epic drought
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
Subscribe to the Week