In a revelation that provoked cries of hypocrisy, a divorced Republican lawmaker who voted against same-sex marriage in California acknowledged Monday that he is gay. State Sen. Roy Ashburn came out of the closet three days after he was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving as he left a gay nightclub. Ashburn defended his opposition to gay-rights legislation, however, saying it was his "duty" to vote in accordance with his constituents' beliefs. Was he being a hypocrite, or just doing his job? (Listen to Roy Ashburn's confession)
Ashburn's confession can't erase his record of hypocrisy: So, now we know why Roy Ashburn "voted against his own people" for so long, say the editors of Queerty. His constituents made him do it. Sorry, Roy, but "voting for discrimination (or against its removal) is never okay, no matter what you think voters believe."
"Calif. Sen. Roy Ashburn: "I'm gay" -- and stand by my anti-gay votes"
There's nothing hypocritical about the way Ashburn voted: Here's a news flash for the angry left, says Suzanne Venker in Right Pundits. It's possible to be gay and still oppose the liberal gay agenda. "Not all gay people want to be married, and not all gay people think gay marriage should be legal."
"Roy Ashburn, anti gay-rights Calif. state senator, is gay: Does it matter?"
No matter how Ashburn votes, it's good he came out: It will be interesting to see whether Roy Ashburn votes differently now that his secret is out, says Kathy Erich Dowd in Tonic. "But in the meantime, we do applaud the senator for coming out of the closet, even if needed a push to do it."
"California state Sen. Roy Ashburn comes out of the closet"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- 10 things you need to know today: July 30, 2014
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Pay yourself first: The habit that can help you build wealth
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Sex can't explain the culture war
Subscribe to the Week