Last week, Google announced a new mapping feature that offers travel directions specifically for cyclists. Google Bike Maps is designed to guide users toward routes with bicycle lanes, while helping them avoid steep inclines. But early reviews suggest the app is plagued by flaws — some potentially "fatal." Is Bike Maps a hazard?
Bike Maps could kill you: During tests in New York City, says Lachlan Carwright in the New York Post, Bike Maps led us the wrong way down one-way streets, up "truck-riddled thoroughfares" and down "off-limits" paths through Central Park. Obviously, "Google has a lot to learn."
"Google gives city bikers bum steer"
Let's not exaggerate: Sure Google Bike maps has some kinks, says Jared Newman in PC World, but anything that makes it easier to avoid relying on a car is a good idea. Our one complaint: The service has no "mobile app" component, so pedal pushers "have to print your maps out before you grab your helmet." That's awfully inconvenient.
"Google Maps for biking: Where's the mobile app?"
Flaws aside, Google Bike Maps is still best of breed: Serious bikers who already knows the best routes around their cities will find it redundant, says Rob Pegoraro in the Washington Post. But for "the target audience" — inexperienced cyclists "who may not realize how many short trips are easily done on two wheels instead of four" — Google's service beats its competitors.
"Google adds bicycle directions to Google Maps"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
Subscribe to the Week