arah Palin has continued to lambaste President Obama, calling on him to "push the reset button" on U.S. policy toward Israel — saying that his diplomatic confrontation with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over Jewish settlements in disputed East Jerusalem benefits the Palestinians at the expense of "our treasured ally, Israel." Is Palin's criticism fair?
Palin's right — Obama treats allies tougher than foes: It's crazy that Obama cozies up to tyrants in the name of engagement, says Jennifer Rubin in Commentary, yet the second Israel says it's building a housing complex in Jerusalem, "all guns are blazing from the West Wing." Palin's a potential candidate in 2012 — it's both fair and smart for her to point out that Obama's foreign policy is a "train wreck."
"A 2012 preview"
Sarah Palin's underestimating the severity of Israel's misstep: Palin calls the dispute over Israel's housing project a "minor incident," says Glynnis MacNicol in Mediaite. That's a bit of an understatement — the construction plans thwarted, at least for now, new U.S.-mediated peace talks. As usual, Palin's just using a controversy to insert herself into the headlines.
"Foreign policy expert Sarah Palin offers President Obama advice on Israel"
Hawkish politicians should be happy Obama's being tough: Israel's government is doing the bidding of "the most extreme elements of the Israeli religious right," says Andrew Sullivan in The Atlantic, while Obama is putting peace first. Yet those politicians who castigate Obama for "weakness with respect to foreign leaders" are "suddenly turning around and accusing the president of ... standing up for America's interests." How weird.
"Blaming America first"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Pics or it didn't happen: Millennials are a bunch of selfie-loving skeptics
Subscribe to the Week