Many thought that Tiger Woods' seemingly limitless sex scandal would end his career. But now, after a stint in a sexual addiction clinic, Woods says he's ready to rebuild his professional life and has announced he'll play at the Augusta Masters tournament in early April. Is America ready to forgive this erstwhile role model? (Watch Golf legend Greg Norman discuss Tiger Woods' comeback)
The timing is ideal for him: In the golfing calendar, the Augusta Masters represents "spring and rebirth," says Mike Lopresti at USA Today. This event, where Woods' "legend first bloomed," is one that represents "warm memories" and "easier days." And it won't hurt that "the crowds at Augusta are as reverent as church pews, and their size is tightly controlled."
"Masters can mean new beginning, new attitude for Tiger Woods"
The timing is unfair to his family: Only four months have passed since Woods' life imploded, says Craig Gross, a sports counsellor quoted by the Huffington Post. That's far from enough time to "ameliorate the mistrust and the hurt" he inflicted on his family. He "doesn't need to" return to golfing, he just "wants to" — is this just a selfish "escape" from the "hard work" he needs to do to mend his ways?
"Tiger Woods' Return: Too Soon or Just Right?"
How much "penance" do Tiger's critics require? A "month per mistress?" asks Oliver Holt in the Daily Mirror. Woods "made some mistakes" and he will "continue to pay the price" as the butt of jokes for years to come. But his "sport needs him," and "we love watching him." Isn't it "time to give him a break?"
"Tiger Woods can forget the green jacket on Masters return — he'll need a flak jacket"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
Subscribe to the Week