After an epic political battle, House Democrats on Sunday won final approval of a historic overhaul of the health-care system without a single Republican vote. David Frum argues in FrumForum.com that by trying everything in their power to block the legislation, instead of making a deal and sharing in the victory, Republicans set themselves up for an "abject and irreversible defeat." Here's an excerpt:
"Conservatives and Republicans [on Sunday] suffered their most crushing legislative defeat since the 1960s.
It’s hard to exaggerate the magnitude of the disaster. Conservatives may cheer themselves that they’ll compensate for [Sunday's] vote with a big win in the November 2010 elections. But:
(1) It’s a good bet that conservatives are over-optimistic about November — by then the economy will have improved and the immediate goodies in the health-care bill will be reaching key voting blocs.
(2) So what? Legislative majorities come and go. This health-care bill is forever. A win in November is very poor compensation for this debacle now.
So far, I think a lot of conservatives will agree with me. Now comes the hard lesson:
A huge part of the blame for [Sunday’s] disaster attaches to conservatives and Republicans ourselves."
Read the entire article here
SEE THE WEEK'S LATEST COVERAGE OF THE HEALTH CARE BILL:
• Health care reform: By the numbers
• Health care: Winners and losers
• Is Obama now a "great" president?
• Health care reform: What's next?
• The Tea Party's Capital Hill protests: "Disturbingly racist"?
• Abortion: Who compromised the most?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 5 most important developments in climate change in 2014
- Why we can't educate racism away
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Oil prices have nosedived — why aren't airfares doing the same?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
When Americans banned Christmas
- The secret histories of 6 ubiquitous American foods
- The dangerous message of The Hunger Games
- 10 things you need to know today: December 25, 2014
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
Subscribe to the Week