Vice President Joe Biden may have turned the airwaves blue during this morning's ceremonial signing of the health care bill. "This is a big f---ing deal," the blunder-prone VP seemed to say as he embraced Obama in front of the podium, apparently unaware that his voice was being picked up by the live TV feed. Robert Gibbs, the White House press secretary, appeared to reference the flub in a Twitter message. Commentators have generally been more amused than offended: "As usual with his endless string of gaffes," says Ben Smith at Politico, "he's not wrong." And David Jackson at USA Today pointed out you can already buy a T-shirt featuring Biden's "now-immortal phrase." See the clip below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- It's time to kill school picture day
Subscribe to the Week