ice President Joe Biden may have turned the airwaves blue during this morning's ceremonial signing of the health care bill. "This is a big f---ing deal," the blunder-prone VP seemed to say as he embraced Obama in front of the podium, apparently unaware that his voice was being picked up by the live TV feed. Robert Gibbs, the White House press secretary, appeared to reference the flub in a Twitter message. Commentators have generally been more amused than offended: "As usual with his endless string of gaffes," says Ben Smith at Politico, "he's not wrong." And David Jackson at USA Today pointed out you can already buy a T-shirt featuring Biden's "now-immortal phrase." See the clip below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 10 things you need to know today: March 8, 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?
Subscribe to the Week