Vice President Joe Biden may have turned the airwaves blue during this morning's ceremonial signing of the health care bill. "This is a big f---ing deal," the blunder-prone VP seemed to say as he embraced Obama in front of the podium, apparently unaware that his voice was being picked up by the live TV feed. Robert Gibbs, the White House press secretary, appeared to reference the flub in a Twitter message. Commentators have generally been more amused than offended: "As usual with his endless string of gaffes," says Ben Smith at Politico, "he's not wrong." And David Jackson at USA Today pointed out you can already buy a T-shirt featuring Biden's "now-immortal phrase." See the clip below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- 10 self-sabotaging interview mistakes to avoid
Subscribe to the Week