Vice President Joe Biden may have turned the airwaves blue during this morning's ceremonial signing of the health care bill. "This is a big f---ing deal," the blunder-prone VP seemed to say as he embraced Obama in front of the podium, apparently unaware that his voice was being picked up by the live TV feed. Robert Gibbs, the White House press secretary, appeared to reference the flub in a Twitter message. Commentators have generally been more amused than offended: "As usual with his endless string of gaffes," says Ben Smith at Politico, "he's not wrong." And David Jackson at USA Today pointed out you can already buy a T-shirt featuring Biden's "now-immortal phrase." See the clip below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
Subscribe to the Week