ice President Joe Biden may have turned the airwaves blue during this morning's ceremonial signing of the health care bill. "This is a big f---ing deal," the blunder-prone VP seemed to say as he embraced Obama in front of the podium, apparently unaware that his voice was being picked up by the live TV feed. Robert Gibbs, the White House press secretary, appeared to reference the flub in a Twitter message. Commentators have generally been more amused than offended: "As usual with his endless string of gaffes," says Ben Smith at Politico, "he's not wrong." And David Jackson at USA Today pointed out you can already buy a T-shirt featuring Biden's "now-immortal phrase." See the clip below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- How Captain America won over China
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
8 Facebook misfires that ruined lives
Subscribe to the Week