A goodwill visit of former Presidents Clinton and Bush to earthquake-stricken Haiti is making headlines for the wrong reasons. As captured on video (see below), Bush shakes the hand of someone in the crowd, then appears to wipe his hand on Clinton's shirt. Bush has a "well-known aversion to germs," explains Amanda Terkel at Think Progress. (In The Audacity of Hope, Barack Obama recalls Bush using a "big dollop of hand sanitiser" after shaking Obama's hand at the Oval Office.) But "whatever Bush's reason," says the Huffington Post, "it looks pretty bad." Watch the controversial video here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The girl who wouldn't die
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- California's epic drought
Subscribe to the Week