A goodwill visit of former Presidents Clinton and Bush to earthquake-stricken Haiti is making headlines for the wrong reasons. As captured on video (see below), Bush shakes the hand of someone in the crowd, then appears to wipe his hand on Clinton's shirt. Bush has a "well-known aversion to germs," explains Amanda Terkel at Think Progress. (In The Audacity of Hope, Barack Obama recalls Bush using a "big dollop of hand sanitiser" after shaking Obama's hand at the Oval Office.) But "whatever Bush's reason," says the Huffington Post, "it looks pretty bad." Watch the controversial video here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- The constant struggle of running a family farm in 21st century America
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- How to stop misogynists from terrorizing the world of gamers
Subscribe to the Week