A goodwill visit of former Presidents Clinton and Bush to earthquake-stricken Haiti is making headlines for the wrong reasons. As captured on video (see below), Bush shakes the hand of someone in the crowd, then appears to wipe his hand on Clinton's shirt. Bush has a "well-known aversion to germs," explains Amanda Terkel at Think Progress. (In The Audacity of Hope, Barack Obama recalls Bush using a "big dollop of hand sanitiser" after shaking Obama's hand at the Oval Office.) But "whatever Bush's reason," says the Huffington Post, "it looks pretty bad." Watch the controversial video here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
Subscribe to the Week