A goodwill visit of former Presidents Clinton and Bush to earthquake-stricken Haiti is making headlines for the wrong reasons. As captured on video (see below), Bush shakes the hand of someone in the crowd, then appears to wipe his hand on Clinton's shirt. Bush has a "well-known aversion to germs," explains Amanda Terkel at Think Progress. (In The Audacity of Hope, Barack Obama recalls Bush using a "big dollop of hand sanitiser" after shaking Obama's hand at the Oval Office.) But "whatever Bush's reason," says the Huffington Post, "it looks pretty bad." Watch the controversial video here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week