goodwill visit of former Presidents Clinton and Bush to earthquake-stricken Haiti is making headlines for the wrong reasons. As captured on video (see below), Bush shakes the hand of someone in the crowd, then appears to wipe his hand on Clinton's shirt. Bush has a "well-known aversion to germs," explains Amanda Terkel at Think Progress. (In The Audacity of Hope, Barack Obama recalls Bush using a "big dollop of hand sanitiser" after shaking Obama's hand at the Oval Office.) But "whatever Bush's reason," says the Huffington Post, "it looks pretty bad." Watch the controversial video here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week