Rachel Maddow, the left-leaning MSNBC anchor, might be considering a Democratic run for the Senate in Massachusetts — at least, that's what incumbent GOP Sen. Scott Brown has claimed in a fund-raising e-mail to his constituents. Maddow has denied having any such plans, rumors of which started with a speculative Twitter message from the Massachusetts Democratic Party chair. Brown's "extremely savvy team" was clever to jump on this, says David Weigel in the Washington Independent. Then again, since Brown seems to "legitimize pretty much any rumor with a response," says Josh Duboff in New York magazine, let's start a few more: "Jon Stewart? Ben Affleck? Snooki?" Watch Maddow (and her MSNBC producer) deny that she intends to run:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
Subscribe to the Week