Rachel Maddow, the left-leaning MSNBC anchor, might be considering a Democratic run for the Senate in Massachusetts — at least, that's what incumbent GOP Sen. Scott Brown has claimed in a fund-raising e-mail to his constituents. Maddow has denied having any such plans, rumors of which started with a speculative Twitter message from the Massachusetts Democratic Party chair. Brown's "extremely savvy team" was clever to jump on this, says David Weigel in the Washington Independent. Then again, since Brown seems to "legitimize pretty much any rumor with a response," says Josh Duboff in New York magazine, let's start a few more: "Jon Stewart? Ben Affleck? Snooki?" Watch Maddow (and her MSNBC producer) deny that she intends to run:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week