Rachel Maddow, the left-leaning MSNBC anchor, might be considering a Democratic run for the Senate in Massachusetts — at least, that's what incumbent GOP Sen. Scott Brown has claimed in a fund-raising e-mail to his constituents. Maddow has denied having any such plans, rumors of which started with a speculative Twitter message from the Massachusetts Democratic Party chair. Brown's "extremely savvy team" was clever to jump on this, says David Weigel in the Washington Independent. Then again, since Brown seems to "legitimize pretty much any rumor with a response," says Josh Duboff in New York magazine, let's start a few more: "Jon Stewart? Ben Affleck? Snooki?" Watch Maddow (and her MSNBC producer) deny that she intends to run:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
Subscribe to the Week