achel Maddow, the left-leaning MSNBC anchor, might be considering a Democratic run for the Senate in Massachusetts — at least, that's what incumbent GOP Sen. Scott Brown has claimed in a fund-raising e-mail to his constituents. Maddow has denied having any such plans, rumors of which started with a speculative Twitter message from the Massachusetts Democratic Party chair. Brown's "extremely savvy team" was clever to jump on this, says David Weigel in the Washington Independent. Then again, since Brown seems to "legitimize pretty much any rumor with a response," says Josh Duboff in New York magazine, let's start a few more: "Jon Stewart? Ben Affleck? Snooki?" Watch Maddow (and her MSNBC producer) deny that she intends to run:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- How Captain America won over China
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week