Rachel Maddow, the left-leaning MSNBC anchor, might be considering a Democratic run for the Senate in Massachusetts — at least, that's what incumbent GOP Sen. Scott Brown has claimed in a fund-raising e-mail to his constituents. Maddow has denied having any such plans, rumors of which started with a speculative Twitter message from the Massachusetts Democratic Party chair. Brown's "extremely savvy team" was clever to jump on this, says David Weigel in the Washington Independent. Then again, since Brown seems to "legitimize pretty much any rumor with a response," says Josh Duboff in New York magazine, let's start a few more: "Jon Stewart? Ben Affleck? Snooki?" Watch Maddow (and her MSNBC producer) deny that she intends to run:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- What if The Purge was real?
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
Subscribe to the Week