n Erykay Badu's "controversial" new video for her single "Window Seat," the singer walks through Dallas' Dealey Plaza — the site of President John F. Kennedy's 1963 assassination — gradually shedding her clothing and getting "shot" in the head. Irked Dallas police say Badu's "guerrilla" film crew failed to get permits and, while some commentators suggest the video is a "sensationalistic exploitation of a national tragedy" (albeit good "marketing"), others see metaphorical depth in the clip. By "shedding her skin...," speculates San Francisco Chronicle's Zennie Abraham," Badu is apparently commenting on society's tendency to "destroy anyone who would seek to be who they are outside the cultural bounds assembled for them." Badu herself says she hoped to inspire "groupthink." Watch the video (nudity is blurred) to find out:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
Subscribe to the Week