n Erykay Badu's "controversial" new video for her single "Window Seat," the singer walks through Dallas' Dealey Plaza — the site of President John F. Kennedy's 1963 assassination — gradually shedding her clothing and getting "shot" in the head. Irked Dallas police say Badu's "guerrilla" film crew failed to get permits and, while some commentators suggest the video is a "sensationalistic exploitation of a national tragedy" (albeit good "marketing"), others see metaphorical depth in the clip. By "shedding her skin...," speculates San Francisco Chronicle's Zennie Abraham," Badu is apparently commenting on society's tendency to "destroy anyone who would seek to be who they are outside the cultural bounds assembled for them." Badu herself says she hoped to inspire "groupthink." Watch the video (nudity is blurred) to find out:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 18, 2014
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week