week after news that "Sarah Palin's Alaska" is coming to The Learning Channel, it seems that Levi Johnston, father of Bristol Palin's child, may soon get his own "Alaska-based" reality show. Johnston is reportedly pitching his currently untitled series to cable networks as "a sort of 'Entourage' on ice," starring himself, reports Radar Online, as "one of the world's most famous teenagers" juggling "business opportunities, strange offers, appearances and...lots and lots of women." Of Palin's new show, Johnston has said, "Good for her, but mine is gonna beat it." Bloggers weigh in on the potential ratings showdown:
Sarah Palin, for the win: Palin's series, conceived to showcase "the beauty and the adventure of Alaska," is obviously the higher-minded pursuit, says Cassy Fiano in Hot Air. "From the sounds of it, Levi's "'Jersey Shore'-style show" will portray young Alaskans as "nothing more than idiotic, adrenaline-seeking hicks." Even if he's trying to find new ways to provide child support, "I still can’t help but think 'deadbeat dad' every time I see him."
"Levi Johnston is now invading your televisions"
Johnston has Palin beat, hands down: "Any normal sane human," says political blog Wonkette, would prefer to watch the "awesome"-sounding Levi Johnston show — after all, it's rumored that he'll be riding "pimped out snow machines with jet fuel in them" — than watch the "perennially bewigged Sarah Palin" wander about the hinterlands. That said, the odds of a network green-lighting Levi's show seem infinitesimal.
"Levi Johnston might get his own show, too!"
What an irresistible rivalry: I "simply cannot wait" for this "battle of the Alaska reality shows," says blogger Mean Betty at Betty Confidential. Palin's star power could easily over-shadow Johnston's "hunting and fishing" take on 'Entourage,' but, then again, he doesn't have to worry about his "rep with the Republican party." Also tantalizing: The guest-stars question. Would Perez Hilton, a possible Johnston guest, "outdo" John McCain?
"Mean Betty on Levi Johnston's reality show"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- The Daily Show has some fun mocking the CPAC power players
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- 10 things you need to know today: March 11, 2014
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
Subscribe to the Week