he new health care reform law imposes a 10 percent fee on tanning salon use — and that's "racist," according to Glenn Beck radio show guest host Doc Thompson. Standing in for Beck, Thompson announced on air Tuesday that, because "light-skinned Americans" make up a majority of tanning salon patrons, the "tan tax" unjustly targets whites. "Who uses tanning? Is it dark-skinned people? I don't think so," said Thompson. While the odd conservative blogger defended Thompson's claims, liberal critics quickly jumped on the statement. Suggesting that the tan tax is somehow "racist," says Alex Seitz-Wald in Think Progress, is simply "absurd." The "real motivation behind the tanning tax is to disincentivize the carcinogenic practice of indoor tanning," not to discriminate against "white people." Listen to Doc Thompson's full statement below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- How Captain America won over China
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week