he new health care reform law imposes a 10 percent fee on tanning salon use — and that's "racist," according to Glenn Beck radio show guest host Doc Thompson. Standing in for Beck, Thompson announced on air Tuesday that, because "light-skinned Americans" make up a majority of tanning salon patrons, the "tan tax" unjustly targets whites. "Who uses tanning? Is it dark-skinned people? I don't think so," said Thompson. While the odd conservative blogger defended Thompson's claims, liberal critics quickly jumped on the statement. Suggesting that the tan tax is somehow "racist," says Alex Seitz-Wald in Think Progress, is simply "absurd." The "real motivation behind the tanning tax is to disincentivize the carcinogenic practice of indoor tanning," not to discriminate against "white people." Listen to Doc Thompson's full statement below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week