he new health care reform law imposes a 10 percent fee on tanning salon use — and that's "racist," according to Glenn Beck radio show guest host Doc Thompson. Standing in for Beck, Thompson announced on air Tuesday that, because "light-skinned Americans" make up a majority of tanning salon patrons, the "tan tax" unjustly targets whites. "Who uses tanning? Is it dark-skinned people? I don't think so," said Thompson. While the odd conservative blogger defended Thompson's claims, liberal critics quickly jumped on the statement. Suggesting that the tan tax is somehow "racist," says Alex Seitz-Wald in Think Progress, is simply "absurd." The "real motivation behind the tanning tax is to disincentivize the carcinogenic practice of indoor tanning," not to discriminate against "white people." Listen to Doc Thompson's full statement below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- The odds are 11 million to 1 that you'll die in a plane crash
Subscribe to the Week