s Sandra Bullock's husband Jesse James the next Tiger Woods? The two men's scandals have certainly unfolded along similar—if not strictly parallel—lines: the multiple mistresses, the public apologies, the fleeing spouses. James is now "neck and neck with Tiger Woods in the most-women-sexted tourney," says Alafair Burke in the Huffington Post. Not quite: Using Woods' Nov. 27, 2009, car crash and the March 17 revelation about James' first mistress, Michelle "Bombshell" McGee, as the respective starting points, The Week has plotted the two Lotharios' ascent into infamy:
Key differences: The James scandal has developed far more quickly. His wife Sandra Bullock reportedly left their family home on March 18—just a day after InTouch broke the story of his affair with Michelle "Bombshell" McGee—whereas 20 days passed before Woods' wife, Elin Nordegren, moved out. James' first public apology came just two days after the InTouch piece and he checked into rehab within two weeks. Woods took his time.
Key similarities: Both Woods and James saw three mistresses emerge in quick succession. James' second, third and fourth mistresses revealed affairs on consecutive days. Woods' second, third, and fourth mistresses went public over a similarly brief four-day period. Woods, of course, had several other paramours reveal themselves—which may be where the comparison ends.
- The indignity of canine bath time
- Is it possible to live forever?
- Watch The Daily Show definitively prove that corporations are not people
- No, Obama doesn't have to fire everybody in the White House
- How to make the perfect hot chocolate
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: A tribute in photos and prose
- Why income inequality has become the Democratic Party's top issue
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- How America's unions can reinvent themselves in the new economy
- 11 languages spoken by 11 people or fewer
Subscribe to the Week