Is Sandra Bullock's husband Jesse James the next Tiger Woods? The two men's scandals have certainly unfolded along similar—if not strictly parallel—lines: the multiple mistresses, the public apologies, the fleeing spouses. James is now "neck and neck with Tiger Woods in the most-women-sexted tourney," says Alafair Burke in the Huffington Post. Not quite: Using Woods' Nov. 27, 2009, car crash and the March 17 revelation about James' first mistress, Michelle "Bombshell" McGee, as the respective starting points, The Week has plotted the two Lotharios' ascent into infamy:
Key differences: The James scandal has developed far more quickly. His wife Sandra Bullock reportedly left their family home on March 18—just a day after InTouch broke the story of his affair with Michelle "Bombshell" McGee—whereas 20 days passed before Woods' wife, Elin Nordegren, moved out. James' first public apology came just two days after the InTouch piece and he checked into rehab within two weeks. Woods took his time.
Key similarities: Both Woods and James saw three mistresses emerge in quick succession. James' second, third and fourth mistresses revealed affairs on consecutive days. Woods' second, third, and fourth mistresses went public over a similarly brief four-day period. Woods, of course, had several other paramours reveal themselves—which may be where the comparison ends.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week