Erykah Badu may be regretting her decision to allude to John F. Kennedy's assassination — while disrobing — for her "Window Seat" music video. Days after the clip's release, Dallas police have charged the singer with disorderly conduct and fined her $500 for failing to secure permits before she filmed the "guerrilla-style" video in Dealey Plaza, site of the JFK tragedy. This somewhat sluggish response was reportedly triggered by a witness who says she found Badu's public disrobing "offensive." Is Badu's punishment justified?
The punishment is totally valid: Had Badu gotten "permission from the city of Dallas" to shoot "such a video," says blogger Outsanity in Chicago Now, she'd have reason to complain. As it stands, pulling this stunt was "no brighter" than the decision "stupid criminals" make to post YouTube videos that help police catch them.
"Guess who's in trouble again?"
It's not right, but Badu saw this coming: Seeing "an artist" charged for something "that no one evidently complained about until well after her video had become a topic of discussion" is "somewhat stunning," says pop culture blog Idolator. "But Badu was in fact prepared" for arrest. According to the video's directors, Chilke and Coodie, Badu "knew she might face criminal charges," but "wanted to proceed anyway." Talk about being devoted to your art.
Justified or not, it's good for Badu: "The disorderly conduct charge is an amazing public-relations coup," says Randall Roberts in the Los Angeles Times. While the episode might have tainted the reputation of younger, family friendly artists like "Taylor Swift...or Justin Bieber, there's "no downside" for Badu. Authorities have ensured that her name will stay in the news cycle longer — increasing public curiosity about the video.
"In an amazing PR coup, Erykah Badu charged with disorderly conduct"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- Pope Francis' American problem
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
Subscribe to the Week