Several right wing personalities, including Congresswoman Michele Bachmann and FOX News host Glenn Beck, have suggested the 2010 Census is an invasion of privacy, and have encouraged Americans not to participate. But if conservative voters shun the Census en masse, the GOP could lose Republican seats in Congress and state legislatures. How to counter that? Enter another prominent conservative, Karl Rove, who's made a new PSA urging all Americans fill out their forms. "The current distrust of Washington should not encourage people from being counted," the former Bush adviser told the Washington Post. No doubt this will convince many on the right "who still revere Rove," says Chris Rovzar at New York Magazine. But what effect will it have on liberals? "We can only imagine." Watch Rove pitch the 2010 Census below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
Subscribe to the Week