Several right wing personalities, including Congresswoman Michele Bachmann and FOX News host Glenn Beck, have suggested the 2010 Census is an invasion of privacy, and have encouraged Americans not to participate. But if conservative voters shun the Census en masse, the GOP could lose Republican seats in Congress and state legislatures. How to counter that? Enter another prominent conservative, Karl Rove, who's made a new PSA urging all Americans fill out their forms. "The current distrust of Washington should not encourage people from being counted," the former Bush adviser told the Washington Post. No doubt this will convince many on the right "who still revere Rove," says Chris Rovzar at New York Magazine. But what effect will it have on liberals? "We can only imagine." Watch Rove pitch the 2010 Census below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
Subscribe to the Week