Is it possible the President of the United States feels threatened by 16-year-old pop sensation Justin Bieber? At the annual White House Easter Egg Roll, Obama appeared to make a "derisive facial expression and mocking hand gestures" when his wife introduced the singer and the predominantly young, female crowd squealed in delight. Clearly, the president's "ego took a hit," speculates Dan Amira at New York Magazine. "When Justin Bieber is in attendance... [Obama] might as well not even exist." Has the president's self-esteem been permanently damaged? Uh, no, says Aylin Zafar at the Atlantic. Watch Obama's "jealous" reaction at the 2:20 mark in this video:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week