Is it possible the President of the United States feels threatened by 16-year-old pop sensation Justin Bieber? At the annual White House Easter Egg Roll, Obama appeared to make a "derisive facial expression and mocking hand gestures" when his wife introduced the singer and the predominantly young, female crowd squealed in delight. Clearly, the president's "ego took a hit," speculates Dan Amira at New York Magazine. "When Justin Bieber is in attendance... [Obama] might as well not even exist." Has the president's self-esteem been permanently damaged? Uh, no, says Aylin Zafar at the Atlantic. Watch Obama's "jealous" reaction at the 2:20 mark in this video:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
Subscribe to the Week