Is it possible the President of the United States feels threatened by 16-year-old pop sensation Justin Bieber? At the annual White House Easter Egg Roll, Obama appeared to make a "derisive facial expression and mocking hand gestures" when his wife introduced the singer and the predominantly young, female crowd squealed in delight. Clearly, the president's "ego took a hit," speculates Dan Amira at New York Magazine. "When Justin Bieber is in attendance... [Obama] might as well not even exist." Has the president's self-esteem been permanently damaged? Uh, no, says Aylin Zafar at the Atlantic. Watch Obama's "jealous" reaction at the 2:20 mark in this video:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week