The determinedly unrecognizable Heidi Montag made headlines last November when she confessed (and confessed) to undergoing 10 plastic surgeries at once. Now The Hills costar, 23, has admitted to Ryan Seacrest that she's not even sure what one procedure — which she calls "back scooping" — entailed. Dr. Alan Matarasso, a spokesman for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, seems equally perplexed. "It may be [Montag's] interpretation of a procedure we call liposuction of the back or the bra strap area," Matarasso told The Washington Post, going on to cast doubt on her story: "You need [to sign] separate consents for each procedure." Did doctors fail to educate Montag about "back scooping," or is the Hills star playing dumb? Listen to this audio clip:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
- The fascinating political evolution of Paul Ryan
Subscribe to the Week