The determinedly unrecognizable Heidi Montag made headlines last November when she confessed (and confessed) to undergoing 10 plastic surgeries at once. Now The Hills costar, 23, has admitted to Ryan Seacrest that she's not even sure what one procedure — which she calls "back scooping" — entailed. Dr. Alan Matarasso, a spokesman for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, seems equally perplexed. "It may be [Montag's] interpretation of a procedure we call liposuction of the back or the bra strap area," Matarasso told The Washington Post, going on to cast doubt on her story: "You need [to sign] separate consents for each procedure." Did doctors fail to educate Montag about "back scooping," or is the Hills star playing dumb? Listen to this audio clip:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- Rise of the machines
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week