In the battle for Florida's Republican Senate nomination, Gov. Charlie Crist has fallen far behind rival Marco Rubio in recent polls. So far, in fact, that Crist has even considered running at an Independent just to stay in the race. But his struggle may have just gotten more difficult with Sarah Palin "endorsing" Rubio, an enthusiastic Tea Party supporter, at the 2010 Southern Republican Leadership Convention (SRLC) this weekend.
A reporter for Florida political blog the Shark Tank caught the former Alaska governor on camera after her SRLC keynote address, and asked if she would "endorse" Rubio for Senate. "I love Marco Rubio!" replied Palin. "Marco, keep up the good work. Call me." While "it's not an official endorsement," says Kyle Munzenrieder in the Miami New Times, it certainly seems that "Palin is a fan of Rubio." Not that Rubio needs Palin's help, says Ed Morrissey in Hot Air. Crist has already squandered his senatorial chances so throughly, "he couldn’t do more to lose this race if he tried." Watch the video below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
Subscribe to the Week