Obama administration officials leaked federal deficit projections that are about $300 billion lower than the $1.6 trillion deficit forecast in February. The improving picture is due to rising tax income and lower spending on efforts to shore up the banking system — which seems like good news, budget-wise. But is a $1.3 trillion deficit anything to feel good about?
This is the good news? Does Obama really want to crow about "merely overspending by $1.3 trillion, rather than the projected $1.6 trillion"? asks Ed Morrissey in Hot Air. If that's his team's proof of "fiscal discipline," they either have a grim sense of humor or they're "vapid and intellectually dishonest." This is Obama's second massive deficit, and the fourth in a row by the Democratic Congress.
"Celebrating a $1.3 trillion deficit?"
Obama's shrinking Bush's deficit: Last year's $1.4 trillion deficit was on George Bush's watch, says Dave Johnson in The Huffington Post, and $1.3 trillion would be an improvement. It's important to note that, contrary to some reports, "Obama did not 'balloon' the deficit." We're in this hole because of "conservative policies" — huge tax cuts for the rich, two wars, and Wall Street bailouts, mostly.
"Washington Post misinforms readers about deficit"
The numbers might just get better: Well, $1.3 trillion is still $1.3 trillion, and that won't look like fiscal success to many people, says Stan Collender in Capital Gains and Games. But since the White House leaked this, I'd guess they'll have even better news when the official numbers are released, a few weeks before midterm elections. A deficit of, say, $1.1 trillion isn't great, but being "a whopping $500 billion" under budget is music to voters' ears.
"Is a lower-than-expected deficit a good or a bad thing?"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week