he President seems to have learned little from the fuss made over his bow to Emperor Akihito of Japan in November, or indeed the outcry when he did the same to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia last April. This week, Obama was at it again, appearing to bow his head towards Chinese President Hu Jintao. Conservative bloggers were united in their outrage. Evidently, "the United States now willingly prostrates itself before the rest of the world," says Scott Johnson at PowerLine. But at a time when the US is trying to stop China manipulating its currency, says an editorial in the New York Times, politeness is at a premium. Watch Obama's greeting of Hu Jintao and decide for yourself:
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- The secrets of happy families
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- Do Americans still believe in the American Dream?
- The U.S. auto bailout is officially over. Here's what America lost and gained.
- Antarctica recently experienced the coldest day in recorded history
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
Subscribe to the Week