he President seems to have learned little from the fuss made over his bow to Emperor Akihito of Japan in November, or indeed the outcry when he did the same to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia last April. This week, Obama was at it again, appearing to bow his head towards Chinese President Hu Jintao. Conservative bloggers were united in their outrage. Evidently, "the United States now willingly prostrates itself before the rest of the world," says Scott Johnson at PowerLine. But at a time when the US is trying to stop China manipulating its currency, says an editorial in the New York Times, politeness is at a premium. Watch Obama's greeting of Hu Jintao and decide for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- The worrying rise of the anti-vaccination movement
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week