The President seems to have learned little from the fuss made over his bow to Emperor Akihito of Japan in November, or indeed the outcry when he did the same to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia last April. This week, Obama was at it again, appearing to bow his head towards Chinese President Hu Jintao. Conservative bloggers were united in their outrage. Evidently, "the United States now willingly prostrates itself before the rest of the world," says Scott Johnson at PowerLine. But at a time when the US is trying to stop China manipulating its currency, says an editorial in the New York Times, politeness is at a premium. Watch Obama's greeting of Hu Jintao and decide for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to make classic pulled pork
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- The conservative battle against ObamaCare won't end with Halbig
Subscribe to the Week