The President seems to have learned little from the fuss made over his bow to Emperor Akihito of Japan in November, or indeed the outcry when he did the same to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia last April. This week, Obama was at it again, appearing to bow his head towards Chinese President Hu Jintao. Conservative bloggers were united in their outrage. Evidently, "the United States now willingly prostrates itself before the rest of the world," says Scott Johnson at PowerLine. But at a time when the US is trying to stop China manipulating its currency, says an editorial in the New York Times, politeness is at a premium. Watch Obama's greeting of Hu Jintao and decide for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
Subscribe to the Week