"Nothing is certain," said Benjamin Franklin, "except death and taxes." Had the venerable Founding Father been alive today, he might have added a third certainty to that list: Celebrities who fail to file tax returns. From Wesley Snipes to Annie Leibovitz, plenty of famous folks have had an expensive run-in with the taxman. As Americans around the nation mail off their 1040s, here's a list of celebrities currently in trouble with the IRS:
Amount owed: $2.1 million
Offense: Wonder Love Inc., a company owned by Harvey, one of the "Original Kings of Comedy," has a huge unpaid tax bill. The IRS finds this unamusing.
Amount owed: $1.1 million
Offense: The actor allegedly failed to pay taxes on his 2007 and 2008 income. It appears that Howard, Oscar-nominated for his role in Hustle and Flow, may be more familiar with the former than the latter.
Amount owed: $598,000
Offense: The IRS has filed a lien against the rapper for the second straight year — last year, he faced similar charges over the $284,000 he owed the state of California. A case of ego trippin'?
Amount owed: $493,000
Offense: The former "Baywatch" pin-up is among 250 taxpayers who failed to pay personal income tax in California. Now on "Dancing with the Stars," Anderson will soon have to dance to the IRS's tune.
Amount owed: Approximately $450,000
Offense: The musician's management company owes Minnesota state taxes. A sign o' the times?
Amount owed: $396,000
Offense: The "Unbreak Your Heart" singer and her estranged husband owe federal taxes from 2007 and 2008. Now Braxton has to "unbreak" her federal obligations and pay the money back.
Amount owed: Approximately $250,000
Offense: The foul-mouthed British celebrity chef staved off bankruptcy last year, but now has New York tax officials after him for unmet payments. A kitchen nightmare indeed.
Amount owed: $44,000
Offense: The "90210" actress faces a tax lien from the state of California, says a report this month. When she heard about the debt, she said it would "be taken care of promptly." Perhaps she's tired of playing the bad girl.
Amount owed: $30,000
Offense: The former childhood star's Corey Feldman Inc. has been hit with a tax lien. Will he stand by his?
Amount owed: $10,000
Offense: The actress and her husband owe $10,000 in back taxes, dating from 2004 and 2005, according to TMZ.com. Not exactly a model citizen.
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- 6 grammar points to watch out for in Christmas songs
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- What every TV show can learn from Sleepy Hollow
- Girls on Film: Stephen Frears' pioneering platform for older actresses
- 10 things you need to know today: December 7, 2013
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
Subscribe to the Week