Apple has announced plans to delay the release of the iPad to other countries due to "surprisingly strong US demand." While no one doubts the success of the iPad — Apple says "more than 500,000" have been sold — some critics are questioning Apple's motives for delaying the international launch. Is this really a supply issue, or is Steve Jobs simply trying to add to the gadget's allure? (Watch a report about Apple's decision to delay the iPad's release overseas)
This is all about customer psychology: This sounds more like a "calculated marketing ploy," says Therese Poletti in Market Watch. "It is human nature to want what you cannot have," so an aura of scarcity will clearly help boost sales. With this kind of buzz, "international customers" will happily wait a little longer to buy their iPads.
"Apple gets boost from iPad shortage"
No, Apple's stated reason makes perfect sense: If there is an iPad shortage, says Devindra Hardawar in Venture Beat, "it’s a smart move by Apple to keep the American iPad market alive." In the long run, best strategy is to meet all consumer demand here in the U.S. and help the "nascent tablet market" take off, rather than letting potential shortages interfere with its natural growth.
"Apple: Strong U.S. iPad demand leads to one-month international delay"
Either way, Apple needs to prove itself: Face it, "the iPad is a luxury item," says Jared Newman in PC World, that Apple "needs to prove to itself, investors, and the world that the iPad was a good idea, and that means keeping the buzz alive in the United States until Apple can boast 1 million sales." Regardless of the reason for the delay, Apple's goal is the same: Sell lots and lots of iPads.
"Sorry, World: Apple delays iPad's international launch"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week