Bad news for those who like tantrums and tears: Kate Gosselin has been eliminated from ABC's "Dancing With the Stars." The consistently vexed mom of 8 children ("Jon and Kate Plus Eight") failed to find favor with the judges, and this week, voters deserted her too. What undid her? (Watch an E! report about Kate Gosselin's exit.)
Gosselin fundamentally can't dance: Judge Bruno Tonioli, as quoted by ABC.com, characterized Gosselin's attempt to fox trot as "distant" and "catatonic," adding that Kate's professional dancer Tony Dovolani would have been able to wring "more life out of a frock and a coat hanger."
"Kate Gosselin worse than a coat hanger on dance floor"
Worse, she barely attempted to learn: Her dance partner Tony Dovolani did his best to "teach, inspire and cajole" Gosselin into improving her "grim and forced" dance moves, says Jacquie Oliverius at The Silicon Valley Mercury News. Her final performance was spectacularly listless: Gosselin "walked, not danced."
"Finally Kate Gosselin's time is up"
At least, her apathy was novel: "Thank you, Ms. Gosselin, for bringing some unpredictability to prime-time television," says Dave Itzkoff at The New York Times, and for "providing endless fodder for blogs and daytime television talk shows." It was almost touching when Gosselin's "mannequin-like mien gave way to honest-to-goodness tears" after she got the boot.
"'Dancing with the Stars' minus Kate"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Stop hating on cyclists
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
Subscribe to the Week