lus-sized clothing company Lane Bryant "is up in arms" after Fox and ABC refused to air its new lingerie commercial, claiming that plus-size cleavage is too prominent. What a strange "double standard," counters Lane Bryant, pointing out that the networks regularly run equally-revealing Victoria's Secret commercials. The ads are indeed sexy, concedes Tracy Clark-Flory in Salon, but in a "truly sensual and erotic" way that we're rarely exposed to on network TV. This is much ado about much, says Peggy Wang in Buzzfeed: "There's nothing too scandalous" in the ad — unless, of course, "giant boobs scare you." Watch the spot:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
Subscribe to the Week