Plus-sized clothing company Lane Bryant "is up in arms" after Fox and ABC refused to air its new lingerie commercial, claiming that plus-size cleavage is too prominent. What a strange "double standard," counters Lane Bryant, pointing out that the networks regularly run equally-revealing Victoria's Secret commercials. The ads are indeed sexy, concedes Tracy Clark-Flory in Salon, but in a "truly sensual and erotic" way that we're rarely exposed to on network TV. This is much ado about much, says Peggy Wang in Buzzfeed: "There's nothing too scandalous" in the ad — unless, of course, "giant boobs scare you." Watch the spot:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Stop hating on cyclists
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
Subscribe to the Week