The news media arrived late to the Tea Party, but now it seems like journalists and pundits won't talk about anything else, say Jonathan Martin and Ben Smith in Politico. Unfortunately, the garden-variety conservative movement doesn't merit the importance it's been accorded by a hysterically fixated media and the "political class," on both the left and the right. After all, 31 percent of Americans have never even heard of the Tea Party movement, according to a new Pew poll, and another 30 percent have no opinion. Here's an excerpt from the article:
"2009 was the year when many journalists concluded they were slow to recognize the anti-government, anti-Obama rage that gave birth to the tea party movement.
"2010 is the year when news organizations have decided to prove they get it. And get it. And get it some more. ...
"Part of the reason is a convergence of incentives for journalists and activists on left and right alike to exaggerate both the influence and exotic traits of the tea-party movement. In fact, there is a word for what poll after poll depicts as a group of largely white, middle-class, middle-aged voters who are aggrieved: Republicans. ...
"Indifference has given way to curiosity, and — in recent weeks especially — to a nearly manic obsession that sometimes seems to place the Tea Partiers somewhere near the suffragettes and the America-Firsters in the historical ranking of mass political movements."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- How legalizing pot could save America's economy
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Behind the newest attempt to get the Supreme Court to strike down affirmative action
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week